PeakLens will transform your mountain activity into an amazing experience, allowing you to get a deeper knowledge of the mountains and to create stunning photos enriched with the most accurate information about the peaks in view.
Discover the names and locations of mountain and hills around you while hiking, climbing, skiing, trekking or enjoying your favorite outdoor activity. Test your mountain knowledge and share your pictures of stunning skyline views with your friends on social networks.
– Precisely identifies mountain peaks and hills in real-time.
– Works worldwide: from Alps, Himalayas, Rocky Mountains and Andes up to the smallest hills, anywhere on Earth.
– Corrects GPS, compass, magnetometer and gyroscope errors with artificial intelligence.
– Works online and offline with pre-downloaded maps.
– High quality photographs with peak names in overlay.
– Knows position, height and distance from you of more than 200.000 peaks.
– Works both with Imperial and Metric unit systems.
PeakLens is a novel Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality app for mountain lovers, hikers and trekkers. It is the result of years of research in artificial intelligence and computer vision, based on a novel algorithm that identifies mountain peaks in real time with high precision. Its core is a software component that compares what you actually see in the camera of your mobile phone or tablet with a virtual panorama, created from a digital 3D landscape model of the Earth. By matching what you see and the virtual panorama, PeakLens automatically corrects most errors that come from the imprecision of the compass and GPS sensor, giving you always the most accurate peak positioning.
– Digital Elevation Model: the digital elevation model of the SRTM project (https://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm) is used for calculating panoramic views.
– Peaks: the Peaks dataset is extracted from Openstreetmap.com.
OpenStreetMap is open data, licensed under the Open Data Commons Open Database License (ODbL).
PeakLens is a research result of Politecnico di Milano, Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informatica e Bioingegneria.
For any comments, questions or feedbacks contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
PeakLens user reviews :
Great app. As long as your phone has capable accurate compass & GPS PeakLens works very well. There are gaps in the OSM data it uses for peak id. In south east Australia the peaks can be patchy but I have used this in France, Austria, Slovenia, Montenegro with success. The peaks label display moves if the phones internal compass moves. The peak id in AR view can be distorted by clouds and trees. Suggestions – options to display peak distance (saved on the json) & adjust label transparency.
I live in the Canadian Rockies. With the downloaded map for this area Peaklens works great off-line out in the feild and even out the car window while travelling through the mountains (as a passenger). As with any of these types of apps it is important to calibrate the GPS to get accurrate results.
- PeakLensNovember 22, 2018
- We’re sorry your experience with PeakLens has not met your expectations. PeakLens uses OpenStreetMap (a collaborative project with the biggest collection of geo data), coverage may vary given your location. We are constantly working to improve your experience. Would you like to help us, by sending some extra information info[at]peaklens.com?
- PeakLensJune 4, 2018
- Hi Balázs, thank you for the tip. We are pleased to know that you like PeakLens. We won’t forget your feedback for next releases.
Contact developer :
Download PeakLens from Play Store
Leave your feedback regarding PeakLens
Get more android apps/games/updates
Subscribe to our mailing list and get new android apps / games and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.